Kogi Prison Break Was Forewarned But Nothing Was Done | MyLatestGist.com
Crime

Kogi Prison Break Was Forewarned But Nothing Was Done

Spread the love

The insecurity problem in Nigeria and the country’s porous security architecture was again exposed on Monday with the attack on the Medium Security Custodial Centre (MSCC) in Kabba, Kogi state, north-central of Nigeria.

For years, Nigeria has battled with insecurity problems – from terrorism to kidnapping to banditry and now to prison breaks, a second in a little less than a year.

While there has been talks of actions being put in place to stop insecurity by different administrations, the problem has not abated, in fact it has been on the rise since it became a full blown national problem.

The Kogi Prison Break

According to reports, at least 240 prisoners broke out of jail after gunmen overpowered prison officers in a gun battle, killing two soldiers in the process.

An official statement released by Francis Enobore, the spokesman for the Nigerian Correctional Service confirmed the attack, saying the correctional facility in Kogi’s Kabba district came under fire from unidentified gunmen, who raided the site and “immediately engaged the armed guards in a fierce gun battle.”

“The incident took place at about 2345hrs on 12th September, 2021,” said Francis.

Enobore said no fewer than 294 inmates were in custody at the time of the attack, stating that “224 are pre-trial detainees and 70 convicted inmates.”

He added that a “recapture procedure” had been activated to find the fleeing inmates. A regional police chief told CNN one policeman was killed during the raid.

“Gunmen in large numbers attacked from all angles and didn’t give the correctional service any opportunity of responding,” said Ede Ayuba Ekpeji, an Assistant Inspector-General of Police for the region.

ALSO READ:  Suspected Killer Of Iniubong Umoren, Uduak Akpan Pleads Guilty

“One police inspector was killed, another police inspector was injured and taken to hospital,” he added.

“Three of the escaping prisoners have been rearrested. No specific category of prisoners was targeted for release by the attackers,” Ekpeji said.

Sola Fasure, the spokesman to Interior Minister Rauf Aregbesola, said Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Haliru Nababa provided a brief.

Fasure, in a statement, said security officers on duty, comprising 15 soldiers, 10 police officers and 10 armed guards of the NCoS, fought gallantly to repel the attack.

“Regrettably, two officers of the Correctional Service are yet to be accounted for while one soldier and a policeman lost their lives”, he noted.

The Kabba custodial facility had 294 inmates, many of whom escaped after the gunmen used explosives to destroy three sides of the perimeter fence.

However, some voluntarily returned to the facility this morning; 28 inmates didn’t escape after the jailbreak.

How Authorities Were Forewarned About Attacks In Kogi

In a report that came after the prison was attacked, TheCable disclosed that a security report had warned of the possibility of coordinated attacks in Kogi state, according to sources privy to the development.

The security report which warned of attacks in Kogi, sources said, had revealed the existence of a plot to make the state insecure.

Koton-Karfe, Mopamuro, Yagba East, Yagba West, Adavi, Ankpa and Idah are said to be among the targeted areas.

According to the report, the security report also warned of a plan to attack schools in Dekina, Kabba and Lokoja, the state capital.

Since the attack on the prison, security operatives are said to have been dispatched to the communities listed in the security report.

ALSO READ:  Lagos RRS Arrest 6 Drug Dealers, Thieves At Marina

Kingsley Fanwo, the Kogi commissioner of information, was not immediately available to comment on the development.

The police command in the state did not respond to a message seeking to know the efforts being made to prevent Kogi from becoming yet another state in the country where violent crimes are rampant.

Despite the security challenges in a neighbouring state like Benue, Kogi has enjoyed relative peace in the past months.

FG Reacts To Kogi Prison Break

The Federal Government’s immediate reaction to the prison break is to disclose that it has mobilized Interpol to track down the jail breakers some of whom may have crossed the nation’s border.

This is confirmed on Monday by the Minister of Interior, Rauf Aregbesola, through his media aide, Shola Fasure.

Fasure said: “Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, has been briefed by the Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Haliru Nababa, on the unfortunate attack on Kabba Medium Security Custodial Centre, in Kabba, Kogi State, by yet to be identified gunmen.

“During the attack, security officers on duty which comprised of 15 Soldiers, 10 Police Officers and 10 armed guards of the NCoS on duty fought gallantly to repel the attack. Regrettably, two officers of the Correctional Service are yet to be accounted for while one soldier and a policeman lost their lives during the attack.

“The Kabba Custodial facility had 294 inmates as at the time of the attack, many of whom escaped after the gunmen used explosives to destroy three sides of the perimeter fence. However, there remains 28 inmates who didn’t escape. Some have also voluntarily returned to the facility as at this morning.

ALSO READ:  Police allay fear over threat to attack Osun estate residents

“The Controller General of the Nigeria Correctional Service, Haliru Nababa, is currently monitoring the situation. A tour of the facility is also ongoing.

“A Crisis Response Centre has been activated and a Special Taskforce mobilized to recapture escaped inmates whilst an Inter-Agency Security Task Force is already on the trail of the gunmen who attacked the facility. The public is advised to stay calm as the situation is under control.

“The Minister of Interior, Ogbeni Rauf Aregbesola, assures the citizenry that Nigeria’s security forces will find the attackers and bring them to justice. We shall leave no stone unturned to bring them back to custody. We are also putting INTERPOL on notice with their details, in case any of them attempts fleeing outside our shores.

“We urge the people, especially the communities around the custodial facility, to be vigilant and report any strange and suspicious persons or activities to the nearest law enforcement agency.

“To the fleeing inmates, escaping from lawful custody is a serious criminal offence. Law enforcement agencies and citizens are lawfully empowered to use all necessary means to arrest and bring you to justice. You should therefore know what you are up against. You will however be eligible for mitigation if you willfully surrender yourselves at the nearest law enforcement office.

“The Nigeria Correctional Service shall not be cowed by elements seeking to compromise the security of our nation; we shall deal with this situation with absolute resolve.

“Further updates will be provided after the end of the preliminary assessment.”

Click To Read Full Articles SORRY GUYS, DUE TO THE CONTENT IN THE VIDEO, WE CAN’T POST THE VIDEO HERE, SO KINDLY CLICK HERE TO WATCH IT NOW
For More Gist Update You Can Join Our Whatsapp Page - CLICK HERE TO JOIN

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Back to top button