Little did he know that a highly venomous snake was hiding at the bottom of the bowl, and struck him right on the testicles.
Reports indicate that after the snake injected its venom, the man was transported to the nearest hospital, which was around 350kms away.
The unbearable pain spread from his genitals to his stomach and chest as he started vomiting.
He experienced a deep burning sensation, and his swollen genitals and deep purple discoloration indicated signs of ‘scrotal necrosis’, or flesh-eating disease.
Even though he was provided with emergency treatment in South Africa, an extensive amount of the tissue in his penis was unrecoverable and had to be cut away, Daily Mail reports.
Doctors performed a ‘surgical debridement’, which involves thoroughly cleaning the wound and removing all hyperkeratotic, infected, and dead tissue, while his penis also required a debridement, LadBible adds.
After spending nine days in a South African hospital, the Dutchman was then repatriated to the Netherlands, where surgeons started the process of rebuilding his pen!s using a graft of tissue they took from his groin.